Tuesday 29 August 2023

CR and The Nones



With a name suggested by a friend to band member CRCR and The Nones has a twofold meaning.   CR explains “Yea, so The Nones was a name suggested by my friend Dash. It’s kind of a play on my last name, Gennone, but The Nones is also a real group or a term to describe people that don’t belong to any religion. And I’m not religious at all, but I kind of identified with that general sense of not belonging in society.”

 

The band CR and the Nones consist of CR, James Abbott on lead guitar and vocals, Nicole Abbott on keys and vocals, John Dewitt on Bass and John Gallagher on drums.  CR admits to always having been into music, even as a kid.  He says, “I was really into Neil Young and started writing songs when I was in high school and haven’t stopped.”  When asked to name his biggest musical influences CR states “I’m a huge Neil head. I’ve been obsessed with Neil’s guitar tone, but also his voice. It’s so fragile and real, and that’s something I’ve always tried to emulate. Jason Molina is another big one. But also, Springsteen, Brian Eno, Sparklehorse, Wilco, Kurt Vile, War on Drugs, Sonic Youth. I think all of those artists create a particular feeling and vibe, and that’s kind of what I’ve gone for as well.” 

 

The Alternative Indie band’s style was influenced by CR who grew up listening to folk music and was attracted to the genre when he started writing his own songs.  CR explains “I’ve always just connected with that type of music, the twang, the harmonies, the voice, the lyrics. And later, I grew to love psych rock and ambient music. It’s all just a feeling and a sound that I’ve just really loved and tried to blend the two to form my own thing.”

 

Exploring themes, that change depending on his feelings or current life experiences, CR describes his approach to songwriting as “I usually write whenever stuff comes, whether it’s a melody, phrase, title, progression, or an entire song.”

 

Handling all the social media for the band, CR says that he relies on friends for photos, video and art for the band's aesthetic.  He also explains “I’ll use my own handwriting for a lot of flyers or album art, so I’m pretty involved. As far as appearances go, I don’t really care about that. I’ve always told friends and bandmates to just be yourself and look as cool or uncool as you want. Just don’t wear cargo shorts.”

 

As far as fans of the band go CR reiterates “I’m appreciative of everyone who likes my music. And I think building a connection is driven by communication. Whether that’s through the music, or at a show, or online, or whatever. Keep a dialog going with people, and I just try to show my gratitude for everyone. 

 

Always ready for a new challenge CR keeps busy with various projects including music, cooking and writing. He says, “It keeps me busy, keeps the creative juices flowing, and when it’s time to do something else, I’m ready for it.” 

 

CR enjoys live performances and when performing he expresses that he “really enjoys the moment you let yourself go and forget where you are or what you’re doing. You kinda just black out, and those are usually the best kind of performances. It’s just freeing, it’s a release, it’s expression. It feels good.” 

 

For the future plans of CR and The Nones, CR mentions that he has “been writing some more kind of up-beat songs and some stuff with pedal steel in mind. I think I’m going to continue producing it myself. But I’m just hoping to play as often as we can and continuing to put out good shit.”

 

For those new to the music of CR and the Nones, CR explains “My music comes from somewhere. It’s twangy, spacey, and gritty, but most of all, it’s real. I’m just trying to create a feeling that’s easy to understand and identify with and share that with everyone listening.” 






Links :


Bandcamp : https://crandthenones.bandcamp.com/album/the-ghosts-are-coming-home-2


Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/crandthenones


YouTube : https://youtube.com/@CRandTheNones?si=GjeDYDxAV-ag0L-0

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment